how about a new compromise: activate the existing compromise

Ticker

1 BTC = $19184.54 USD  (via Coinbase)
1 ETH = $1297.94 USD  (via Coinbase)
1 LTC = $52.56 USD  (via Coinbase)
Quotes delayed up to 2 minutes.

Kryptous

Crypto Coins News - Ratings - Reviews

1 News - 247 News - 247 Bitcoin - 1 Search

BTC - BCH - ETH - LITE - XRP

Buy Sell Trade Crypto Here

 

This exact proposal (lets compromise X+Y with X=2MB HF and Y being segwit) has been made half a dozen times over the last months, and I and others had to explain engineering realities, to many people individually and in groups, so lets recap that again:

So, lets see. That has to designed, reviewed, implemented, tested, re-network validated, the 100+ companies who already integrated and tested segwit have to go change that, and retest; not just them but every piece of software on the network needs upgrading.

This seems like a huge step backwards if we want scale inside of a year. After implementation, segwit took 6months of testing and it is a soft-fork. This is a hard-fork and no planned hard-forks have been done before. It took a long time for companies to upgrade to segwit, and some have not yet, but that's ok because it's a soft-fork. This is a hard-fork, so they will all need to upgrade or chaos can happen. There is no anti-replay and no wipe-out protection. The author seems largely out of the loop on bitcoin R&D on hard-fork work for the last few years hardfork such as BIPs, code and testnets by Dr Johnson Lau, and BIPs by Luke Dashjr. https://bitcoinhardforkresearch.github.io/

No hardfork wishlist items are included unlike the above work.

Research not captured yet there, was also done on weightings and cost validation metrics to think about how to combine by adding a HF (after segwit), and none of the necessary tradeoffs are considered in this X+Y "compromise".

That'll do for starters. Even with the hypothetical if it were a genius new wizard grade idea, and everyone fell instantly in love with it, and figured we must do this asap, it would delay access to scale by around 12months, just due to engineering realities. SegWit itself was and is a compromise, but a radically better one because it includes memory, CPU, storage, bandwidth complexity improvements to compensate. Just activate segwit and scale starts to be available in weeks – it's all good to go.

How about a compromise: activate the existing compromise. And work on next step scale next, if you are interested in fork research, join the R&D effort with Johsnon, Luke and others.

ps Reddit seems to be broken as of at least 9hrs ago when I made the above post visible on https://www.reddit.com/user/adam3us but not visible on thread https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/62opul/bitcoindev_segwit2mb_yet_another_attempt_at/dfo8r78/

submitted by /u/adam3us
[link] [comments]

Kryptous

Crypto Coins News - Ratings - Reviews

1 News - 247 News - 247 Bitcoin - 1 Search

BTC - BCH - ETH - LITE - XRP

Buy Sell Trade Crypto Here

 

Ticker

1 BTC = $19184.54 USD  (via Coinbase)
1 ETH = $1297.94 USD  (via Coinbase)
1 LTC = $52.56 USD  (via Coinbase)
Quotes delayed up to 2 minutes.

Leave a Reply